After a few ridiculous DIYing in campsites/laybys/on beaches episodes whilst travelling, I managed to get everything _pretty much_ working, although with a definite air of redneck chic thereifixedit.com action.
One of the most bodged things was the water tank. The tank itself (40l stainless steel from jay wolfe metal work) was good. The water filter and tap (from pozzani pure water, the Kitchen Spring RIX250 System) also, flawless.
Things that were not so good..
Filling was extremely awkward and invariably resulted in a little bit of spillage
The pump has a pressure switch. This means that if the tank runs out, OR if you are on rough ground, an airlock in the system will cause the pump to never turn off.
There is no inline switch to isolate the pump (see above)
The wooden cabinet is completely unfinished and thus less waterproofand more.. spongelike.
One of the plumbing fittings I made in a french campsite eventually came apart 5 months later and the pump pissed water everywhere before I could stop the van and get to the main power isolation switch.
Resulting in the following scenes of mouldy destruction…
I bought a caravan type locking water filler with overflow from ebay, and very bravely fitted it…
Naturally, it rained as soon as I cut the hole, so I drove around for a day with a piece of sushi rice packet taped over the hole, waiting for the anti corrosion paint to cure..
Extreme vinegar and teatree anti mould attack, and a fan heater on in the van for a day sorted the mould out.
Then, four coats of random eggshell later, and the tank is refitted with a proper filler, a switch that importantly can be reached from the driver’s seat, and the tank is optimised for use!
I’d been thinking about an alternative alphabet thing for a while, and when two scientist friends decided to make a new tiny scientist.. well. GAME. ON.
Playing in my shed with some clay, the idea to make an AMAZING nightlight out of porcelain arrived. It would look smooth on the outside but has the alphabet and pictures etched on the inside, so when the light is turned on – magic pictures!!
.. this idea lasted until I remembered my homebodged raku kiln will not fire to vitreous porcelain temperatures.
THEN I decided I would make fabric alphabet cubes, I would PRINT these. With PRINTING.
I purchased some lino and cutting tools. Awwww yissss toys. Then some more printing inks. More colours. IMPORTANT.
I started making letters (mostly) at random.
I went a little bit mad for a while..
Then I decided that I would make the entire alphabet, and make it into a quilt.
Some maths later, I realised this would be about the size of a house.
The letters of the new person’s name! That is what I will do. Well, balls. I have only made one of those letters so far.
I made the design..
My fancy new phthalate, PVC, BPA, BBC, ITV free screen printing inks arrived..
There was a lot of fannying around decided what to use as a backing fabric. I ordered some bamboo velour (which is lovely), but then found some rust corduroy in my stash which seemed perfect. Warm and soft, yet tough and hard wearing. It contrasts very nicely with the coolness of the linen top, and provides a very substantial feel.
Next – fannying with whether to use quilt wadding (this is all new to me) and which wadding to use.
I want to make it be properly washable, so I was thinking of just having the linen top with a cotton or bamboo plush/velour backing, so that it’s hardly quilted at all. This is because I am suspicious of the washability of batting. Even if I am, I only want very light quiltingpaddinginserttechnicaltermhere.
Is batting bad for machine washing?
Actually I’ve got some polyester nubbly fleece and plain fleece (actually maybe i gave the last away I am not sure). Could I use that as the ‘quilting’?how about thin wool felt? That would survive a 40 if adequately quilted, right?
How do I make the layers stay together nicely for sewing in a way that doesn’t leave a residue? Can I use water soluble glue?
I think I have a walking foot.
I don’t know how it works.
I gleaned from the wonder that is Ravelry, that there are all sorts of strange glue sprays you can get (in america) and that they use elmer’s glue (which I worked out is pretty much just starch glue).
After endless research, I gave up on these crazy bought products and made some starch solution in a spray bottle (because a: couldn’t find this Sullivan brand mentioned by Intarweb ‘Merkins b: hate aerosols c: hate perfumed products) and used it to flatten everything out and then stick it together. It worked a treat! No pins! I hate pins. OH YES. YOU WILL DO MY BIDDING.
NEXT: a tester to check nothing would shrink in a horribly incompatible way and the ink wouldn’t come off etc etc etc
Onwards! Now I must finish all the block prints and their pictures..
OK this is not all of them but I am getting bored of all this typing.
The most troublesome bit was definitely the border. I watched a bunch of videos on youtube, whereupon I decided that a lot of people are bonkers. I played with some bits of paper and came up with the following method (which I did not entirely use, I made it much more complicated for myself)
Finally, I presented it to the new Autarch of Abingdon (HAIL)
Today I realised that the robot (a giant robot from Studio Ghibli’s Laputa – Castles In The Sky) head I started yesterday had some scale issues. Given that I am making it to go in a fish tank, and given the size of the robot torso vs head, I was looking at some kibd of outsized craziness. So I made a smaller one, and started on the detail for the bigger one’s eyes. Maybe the big one will be a garden ornament..
They’re made from a clay with a high iron and mica content, so they’ll go orangey with a oxidative firing, and have shiny speckles.
Given the variable success of my rather random firings, anything could happen.